Saturday, September 11, 2010

bottle tops

I collect bottle tops - flat rusted bottle tops and i use them in my collages a lot. At the moment I'm saving them for two distinct projects. The first a collage called 'The Ninety-nine Virgins' I have enough tops for this but I don't, as yet, have the menstrual blood of a virgin and this is proving to be difficult to obtain. I'm curious about this - it suggests to me the old taboos are closer to the surface of our modern lives than we might think. So instead of the collage I want to make I have a journal of how I cant make it.
The second is a hanging I want to construct using my bottle tops and fresh water pearls. I don't have enough tops yet for this project and already see problems in its construction. if I link bottle tops and pearls to construct the fabric it will only be as strong as the top layer of joints - it will fall. perhaps the falling is part of the project and this is an installation rather than just a collage. I'm thinking it still.

Anyway, and here we get to the point of this post, I was thinking as I was harvesting bottle tops from the local parking building where kids sit and drink and talk and smoke - thinking of the disapproval I often collect along with the things I harvest - the flotsam and jetsam of city life. that what I am doing is dirty and places me in danger of contamination from the dirt. I am in danger of becoming sick from this dirt it seems.

My thought today as I was eyed sideways by a passing local bourgeoisie I can poison my mind with senseless violence against women and children on the local television station, I can poison my body eating the flesh of animals raised in filth and killed in pain and torture but I cant collect bottle tops and things from the pavements of my local environs BECAUSE THIS MIGHT MAKE ME SICK!
please............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment