Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old Letters

I've been tidying my study - I tidy my study like some women diet - Ive been doing it for most of my adult life!

I have issues.
There's the issue of books - do I use the dewey system or do just alphabetical order; is fiction to be integrated or separated from nonfiction - and where do I stack the books I'm reading right now?

It's difficult.

I decided to order my books using a personal mind map - it's fluid and useful but as with so many thing - the strength is also the weakness - it's an unfinished process and I keep moving categories.
Llike that study I remember reading as an undergraduate which showed colour classification is culturall y specific and each culture has colours that dont exist in others.
As with colour so with words!

I get side tracked really, really easily and thats part of the problem with study maintenance - I begin to explore.

Exploring your own stuff is just as exciting in many ways as exploring other people's stuff - more so in many ways becausede you have to relocate the state of mine or intellectual standpoint that led you to keep that or say that or make that - or as so often happens - to keep that sequence of objects in that folder or box or pile.

Similarly adventurous is finding a newspaper page - carefully folded to keep an article that obviously was important enough to keep - unfolding and scanning the page only to discover you have absolutely no idea what was on this page that needed to be kept. Obviously the moment had passed.

I've just reorganised ther material and files for my reading groups. tidied up and glued in all the patterns and drawings for my knitting groups and dusted some shelves.

Looking at a box of old photographs and an archive box of old letters I have no idea how to contain and store them; I want to acknowledge their importance but I dont know how - I can make new books for the photos - easily done but how are old letters to be stored?

I'm going for a walk!

3 comments:

  1. My daughter has a useful method for storing the letters she treasures from family far away. She just stores the unfolded letters in plastic paged folders chronologically, with its envelope (kept for date and address reasons) and any enclosures tucked in the same plastic pocket behind each letter. It is fun for her to pull out her letters to read or flick through them page by page and notice the changing hand-writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea - the ease of handling but I also like the visual of old stacks of letters tied with ribbons and having to be unwrapped and unfolded.
    Also is there an effect of the plastic on old inks and papers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise that was you -I've read some of your daughter's blog - she is liquid in her eloquance. I cant wait to meet you both!!!

    ReplyDelete