Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mostly when I recycle stuff I want to burn and rip - tear and  remake into a collage but I have become interested also in the gentler arts of recycling.

I volunteer at the local op shop (thrift store) and much of what we cannot sell is moved along to another organisation which in turn moves on what it cannot sell. Items which cannot  be sold often become carpet underlay and other curiously enjoyed but unnoticed products.

Ive started recycling some of the clothes that are unlikely to be worn again into jam covers. these are the glorious ornaments that people who enjoy making jams and preserves like to decorate their products.

From this one unsalable skirt I have made twenty jam covers which I will take to the store on Friday and sell in groups of ten: ten for $5.00 and see if that works!
I'm  also thinking to start collecting the glass jars that are always donated to the store and make sets of half dozen matching jars and covers - also though to buy matching hair ties to hold them on - but maybe going too far with this!

Anyway, this is what they look like and the pile of scraps now taunts me with the possibility of micro-quilting. This apparently almost lost craft was designed to ensure that not the tiniest of fragments of fabric was wasted!




No comments:

Post a Comment