Monday, February 8, 2010

Haiku

I adore haiku - for me its the construction of metaphor to create meaning. I admire the old Japanese form and have toyed with the possibility of learning archaic Japanese to enjoy it properly.

I have yet to begin this project.

My son says haiku cant be properly written in English and I disagree with this - for me the form itself follows how humans construct and synthesise thought and I don't need to learn Japanese to explore that.

My friend Julianne introduced me to a haiku ((I so want to write an haiku - both seem totally right and totally wrong)) blog and I have been enjoying so very much exploring the images other people create.

I wrote this haiku after I had been to Italy and visited Cuma, where the oracle lived. It is a magical site and it was a magical visit - made more so because I spent my whole time there completely alone. I got to walk down to where the oracle was!

And I wrote this haiku:

At Cuma
I waited alone
to hear the Sybil answer
my unasked question

2 comments:

  1. I like this, but it's a bit wordy. Do you intend this as a 4-liner (unusual), or is "at Cuma" more of a title?

    Cuma–-
    waiting for the answer
    to an unasked question

    gives the reader a little more to do, which is generally desirable.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "At Cuma" is the title of this haiku but I coudn't differentiate enough in terms of text - so I may have to play a little with that.

    thank you for your kindly comment sir

    ReplyDelete