Friday, December 28, 2012

Artist statement - works for writing as well as collage!

I woke up!

I had slept a life time and in those days, those weeks of sleeping my mind constructed its own dreamtime. A burst cerebral aneurysm ripped through my life and transformed everything. I lost my connection to the now and moved into the deep. I lost myself in those days of sleeping and remembered nothing of before or now. In that place of forgetting, of unknowing I connected with our shared history, our shared consciousness and began to dream.

In awakening I began to translate my dreams into images. Mythologies pulled from the shared mind through pain and death into a sense of the personal.
I use the flotsam and jetsam of everyday life to recreate these metaphors of image. Layers of memory and understanding through the use of materials - the metaphors I create exist on several levels and ache to be transmogrified into form


The common need to find the human form intrigues me. Irrespective of the disparate nature of the materials available we have a desire to construct the human form. In my work I wish to push this thought: – how abstract must the form become before we no longer find the human within it?


Unsure if these figures are icons, fetishes or goddesses I listened for their voices and allowed their presence to construct themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment