Friday, December 28, 2012

medea and hecuba

I am very fond of Greek tragedy and i think Medea and Hecuba are my favourite characters. Although I also admire Clytemnestra as well and wonder what i would do if my husband had murdered our daughter and brought home his slave girl lover. Full of his own importance in a sorry sorry matter would it not be easy to try to cut out his defective heart.

I love also that the Furies didn't blame her!!

Medea is an extraordinary character as well. She knew her way through the labyrinth that imprisoned her brother and exchanged this knowledge to become Jason's wife and to bear his children.

When he broke that contract she fed his seed back to him.
its an interesting thought, would the sons she bore him have become her advocates or would they have sided with their successful and dynamic father. I wonder.

Hecuba, once Queen of troy sitting waiting for the morning, knowing her fate and the fate of all the women with her. having watched the rape of her daughters and the death  of her grandson.
I love that play and sit through that night with her on a regular basis!

A most disjoint blog I'm sorry - but its a work in progress

who wants to start reading these texts with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment