Friday, December 28, 2012

thinking about bodies



I don't believe it is possible to be female in this modern western urban world we live in and not have a skewed vision of your own body - your own presence in the world.

Since the female body  became part of the sign system by which an androcentric culture tries to construct meaning in the world our bodies have been up for grabs!

The curve of our stomachs,  the curve of our ankles and feet, the curve where our backs meet our buttocks all have added, and often social, meaning.

I watch music videos - I always have. I have always enjoyed the window into popular culture they provide with their visual imagery and - I like music!

But I am not  enjoying the music videos so very much now. The portrayal of my sex as prostitutes and sex slaves suggests to me the sign system our bodies is reiterating  that something has gone terribly wrong in our culture.

Im curious also that a cut face is becoming normative. the reshaping  of the female face has become something women are supposed to accept as normal and to aspire to.

Some cosmetic surgeons work is so particular it can be visibly recognised.
On a symbolic level post modern culture has become an angry/sad adolescent cutting herself to create some kind of feeling, some kind of sensation - not understanding that what she feels is as unreal as everything she sees.

No comments:

Post a Comment