Friday, December 28, 2012

camberwell market



camberwell market is my local flea market - its truly amazing and part of my weekly  ritual. rain or shine I'm there fossiking for treasure ... or components.

I have a set routine. Arrive early, park my car in my regular car park - if i get there early its always available. Through the main gate, pay over dollar coin and head to the coffee shop.

I walk the same route as well and say 'good morning' to the traders I know.

Often I'm looking for fabric - or rather clothes that can be deconstructed ((ripped up)).
I have a colour palette in my mind and I just wander and collect what seems to fit. i love that when I do that and get home with whats stuffed in my bag the colours are perfect for the project I am working on!!

I went through a stage of collecting cassette tapes. they were on average between 20c and 50c each so I collected all the music I didnt have on CD - old music I only liked a little and music I had never heard of.  MY cassette collection now fills 2 large  cupboards in the kitchen, is over 1000 cassettes and provides my 'work in the kitchen' music - or it did until the miraculous advent of ipod!

There's the fur man who is selling off the contents of his father's furrier business - all small delicate skins and curious surfaces; Elizabet the haberdasher, who now has her bone buttons made in Tibet.

the man who used to sell CDs and cassettes now sells picture tiles and I remind myself weekly to talk to him of the boxes under the house full of unused tiles from 30 years ago.

Leo the jeweler, the man who sold me a car load of antique kimono for $50, Susan who sold the most comfortable pants in the world!

its a wonderful place!

Sometimes i feel my walk through all of this is akin to meditation!


No comments:

Post a Comment