Friday, December 28, 2012

take my breath away!

Im a fairly prosaic person - at least I think I am - I dont discombobulate easily, so to speak but 2 people have managed to disconcert me totally this morning.

The first was Somerset Maugham - I adore this man's work - his eye is ruthless, his wit sharp and his writing delightful. If he has a harsh view of women - so be it!! I love him anyway!!

I was reading  The Travel Books this morning when I woke and delighting in the combination of waking indolence, remnant dream images and Maugham's text - I didn't want to get up!!
and then I read this - I'll copy it for you

"Now it happened that one of the books I had brought to read on the way was Bradley's Appearance and Reality. I had read it before but found it difficult and wanted to read it again, but since it was an unwieldy volume I tore off the binding and divided it into sections that I could conveniently put in my pocket.....

he ripped up his book!!

I read it again and that was definitely what he had done - ripped up his book!

he had treated his book in the way I treat photocopies or print outs!!

I loved him for it but in a scary, illicit way!  I'm not brave enough to do this but I really, really want to now!!


OK -  I stopped reading Maugham - I couldnt get passed that action so I grabbed The White Goddess. I love Graves deeply as well - like an older lover at university who confounds you with words to evoke passion to be harvested later in the night!!

But I digress!!

I read this, and again I will copy it for you!

"What interests me most in conducting this argument is the difference that is constantly appearing between the poetic and prosaic methods of thought. The prosaic was invented by  the Greeks of the classical age as an insurance against the swamping of reason by mythographic fancy...

again - I was  gobsmacked and it not yet 7am!

I had to get up. These 2 thought strands were too large, too important to allow me to stay in bed and I am carrying them around today like a gift!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment