Friday, December 28, 2012

Hoarding


I am fascinated by the idea of hoarding and I must state here I'm a bit of a hoarder myself.

I always used to think Im a chronic hoarder but now I know I'm not!

I collect books, I collect old tapestries, old fabrics and fibres and I have two work rooms that are knee deep in assorted crap at the moment; so badly so Im employing a girl I know to  come help me tidy them.

My study and book rooms on the other hand are tidy. All books, CDs. cassette tapes and DVDs are ordered alphabetically and it gives me a great deal of pleasure to see them so.

My hoarding is controlled but what about people who cannot throw anything away - not even the packets coffee beans are bought in - I understand and at the same time cannot understand that.

I know my mother was fascinated by this as well. As a small child she would recount to me books she was reading rather than read my bed time stories. Every now and then i find one of these books and its always curious making to try and work out why she read that book and why she recounted it to me.

the last one I found was called 'my brother's Keeper' by Marcia Davenport. In this two elserly brothers are found dead in a house filled with hoarded rubbish. One was killed when a pile of news papers fell on him.

I love these ((often less than)) simple things both connect me to and help me understand my mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment